Skip to main content

Clone SSD to larger SSD, and how to fix Windows 10 afterwards...

Once in a while, one needs new challenges. Or one simply buys a new SSD drive because she likes the idea of more hard drive space. Big mistake?

As you might have already guessed, I recently acquired a Crucial 750GB SSD drive to upgrade my Lenovo u430 touch machine. The plan was to "simply clone the old SSD to the new SSD", so I got myself a "SSD to USB adapter" and connected the empty drive to my machine. There are various tools out there which claim to be able to clone the drives, but none of them worked for me. Booting into (USB-)Ubuntu, I opened up GParted and noticed that my old SSD already had 8 partitions, some of which could not be read properly...

Long story short, I ended up formatting the new SSD into a GPT (not MBR!) drive, created the same partitions (just allocated a bit more space to the main ones) and, after chatting with a friend, who mentioned the "DD"-command to me (learn something new everyday, right?) cloned all partitions from old drive to new drive, partition by partition, like sudo dd if=sda1 of=sdc1. 

Worked like a charm (at least that's what I tought). I switched drives and fired up the machine - only to run into a BSOD. First it said something like winload.efi was missing, but didn't allow me to enter recovery, later on I was getting the dreaded BDC files missing or corrupted message. 

I figured out I could use the original SSD to get into recovery, but that didn't help much, so I'll just skip over the next 24 hours. By then, I also had issues on the old SSD - I couldn't use the bootrec command any more to fix the MBR / Boot sectors.  That's when I (accidentally?) disconnected the new drive while working in recovery - and voila, seems like bootrec has issues with two drives (probably with similar volumes). I managed to fix the original SSD like this:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /scanos
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Since I figured that I won't be able to use the old SSD's recovery console to fix the new one, I finally created a recovery / installation disk (I didn't have any disk / USB media holding a Win 10 installation, so I googled the Microsoft Windows Media Creation Tool and used it to create a recovery DVD). 

Now the bootrec /fixmbr, bootrec /fixboot and bootrec/scanos worked, but I couldn't manage /rebuildbcd to complete successfully (it couldn't access the drive somehow, claiming it couldn't find the required system device). I tried it all, bcdboot, diskpart, renaming drives, chkdsk, you name it.

Some more googling, and someone mentioned somewhere that it could help to boot the installation media dvd (U)EFI version instead of the (legacy) CD-Drive. I gave it a try and voilĂ  - bootrec /rebuildbcd finished without any complaints. Reboot, done. If only someone had told me earlier to use this damn disk, would have saved like a week of work, aggression and frustration... :-D
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joomla! 2.5: Multiple views, one model

Here goes MVC again: I was a bit confused that every time I created a second or third view for a component, I had to create a separate model for it. Did not make sense to me - I had the necessary algorithms in the model for the first view, did I really need to do copy & paste? I hate it! Redundancy, redundancy, redundancy. That case occurred in my current project - I created user profiles and needed an "edit" view. The data is the same, but I need to have the data in editable text fields instead of fixed labels, and maybe some other buttons here and there...  Well, some time later I realized that I just did not quite understand what Joomla! acutally means by "view".  And that there is something called "layout". Long story short: If you have a model that provides all necessary information and you just want to have a different presentation of it, just add a new .php file to your views/<yourviewname>/tmpl folder - let's call it "layo

Eureka! Intel N 7260 Issue Appears To Be Solved

For a while now I've been having annoying trouble with my wireless adapter (Intel N 7260 - yes, I know it is known to cause trouble...). Not only did it not connect properly, it broke the wifi and the internet connection of the router in a way that no other device in the network could access the internet any more. I might just have discovered another possible cause: And guess what, Windows took me there. I know, right? So, this is what I did (I am on Win 10 right now): - It did not connect properly, as usual (for me this only happens when at home, where I am using a Speedport W 504V router) - so I ran Windows "troubleshooting" (right-click on the wifi icon in the task bar to get there) - It told me that there was an issue with a network protocol missing on my machine (which is rather ridiculous) - BUT at the bottom of the window it offered me a link to detailed information about the issue, which took me to a quite detailed troubleshooting report - This report lists

Galaxy S5 Lollipop Update Issue

Disclaimer: getting anything wrong with flashing might brick your device - this is not a manual. I am not responsible for any damage to your phone or data...  -- So I finally checked the software update availability on my Samsung Galaxy S5, and guess what - the Android 5.0 update was available. Finally. I cleared up some space on my phone (it claims that it needs 3 GB of free space for the installation) and started the update. It is a big image (1.4 GB), so it takes a while to download, then the phone shuts down, restarts, and starts to install. I started wondering when the installation process started at 25%, went down to 1, up to 20, 30% and then - "error". Phone restarts, everything OK except for the fact that I still have KitKat on my phone. Tried again. Same result. Tried again. Same result. Googled it. No results. Nobody seemed to run into that same error. There was indeed an error message after the phone restarted successfully - "Try it again, try Kies or go